My name is Chi Nguyễn.
I am a New York-based community organizer, civic designer, and digital strategist. I use design as a tool for distributed organizing. My goal is to create accessible content for everyone with a focus on accessibility and inclusion that centers underserved communities.
NYC Digital, Mayor's Office of the Chief Technology Officer
Digital Design Lead
September 2017 - Present | New York, NY
- Conceptualize and execute accessible design workshops, user research, and user testing sessions with City workers and New Yorkers
- Co-lead and collaborate with members in a cross-agency taskforce to research challenges and find solutions to support City workers in creating and maintaining accessible digital products
- Provide guidance to City agencies, offices, and workers on digital design best practices
- Design digital and print content for citywide digital projects that focus on accessibility, compatibility, and multilingual content
- Lead and organize New York City government's first all-day conference on digital accessibility and inclusion for employees on May 17, 2018.
May - June, 2017 | New York, NY
- Developed digital strategies and applied brand messaging and policy position to execute email, blog, and social media content in the U.S. and E.U.
- Created and managed campaign KPI to analyze website, email, social performance and identify opportunities to optimize Etsy seller engagement.
- Built a ladder of engagement to move Etsy sellers from contributors to policy leaders in their communities.
- Set up editorial calendar with milestones and key initiatives to write and design digital assets for the launch of new social media channels that focus on public policies and advocacy.
Center for Reproductive Rights
Senior Designer, 2016 - 2017
Graphic Designer, 2014 - 2016
New York, NY
- Conceptualized, wrote, and designed online communications strategies and partnered with unlikely allies to grow social media following from 19K to 210K on Facebook, 18K to 60K on Twitter, and 165K to 243K over email between 2014-2016.
- Collaborated with the Messaging & Public Opinion Research Manager to analyze and visualize KPI metrics and audience profiles; tested audience’s behavior online; and boosted audience’s interaction across our digital platforms.
- Managed and led Graphic Designer, liaised with Program Assistants and external vendors in daily tasks and cross-departmental projects.
- Designed institutional publications, online ad buys, and multi-media contents to increase organization’s visibility and meet fundraising goals.
Filipino American Museum
Designer and Visual Identity
2014 - 2016 | New York, NY
Conceptualized and implemented brand guidelines for online platforms and in print to promote museum’s identity and events. Conducted artist interviews for online journal to build and promote Filipino artistic community.
MFA Design for Social Innovation, School of Visual Arts
Assistant to the Chair
2013 - 2014 | New York, NY
Strategized outreach methods and design online and printed marketing content to raise awareness about the program using Salesforce, Hootsuite, and MailMerge. Coordinated annual projects and special events including: orientations, student exhibitions, open houses, bootcamps, mixers, budget & office expenditures, and curriculum preparation.
Slow and Steady Wins the Race
Design & Operations Intern
2012 - 2015 | New York, NY
Worked under award winning designer Mary Ping during New York and international Fashion Week on FW12, SS13, and FW15. Assisted in the developement and implementation of social media strategies, e-mail blasts, and blog posts.
The United Nations Population Fund
Communications & Development Intern
2011 | Hanoi, Vietnam
Educated first- and second-responders on issues of reproductive rights and gender-based violence. Assisted in the design process for promotional materials and training manuals for the 2011 World Population Campaign. Composed proposals, press releases, and grants in Vietnamese and English for government initiatives.
Accessible, inclusive, digital and print, graphic, branding, video and photo editing, data visualization, user research, workshop conceptualization and facilitation, design system, textile
On digital strategy:
Online campaign strategy for email, web, and social media; distributed organizing; KPI analysis and management; user engagement; editorial calendar and milestones; message research and testing; online fundraising; project management
If the community is not part of the conception and creation of a project, if the power and expertise are not distributed, it's not community building.
Adobe Suite Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, XD, Bridge, Premiere Pro
Tableau, Microsoft Office, Infograms, HootSuite, MailChimp, Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, Luminate Online, Asana, InVision, Facebook Analytics, Google Analytics, Jira
HTML/CSS, Python, machine learning
School for Poetic Computation
Machine Learning Literacy
Reproductive Justice Leadership Institute Fellow
National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum
Macaulay Honors College at CUNY Baccalaureate
BA magna cum laude
Visual Arts and Political Science
L’ Istituto Lorenzo de’ Medici